Monday, August 9, 2010

Saturday: London Broil.. aka Flank Steak

So on this quest to cook dinner for as cheaply as possible I'm looking into using cheaper and usually leaner proteins.  London Broil is a pretty lean piece of beef. It's also super cheap but if cooked improperly can taste like bad beef jerky and leave your jaw unhinged.  Saturday I set out to see if I could make a london broil tender with out a sous-vide. (We're plotting on how to make one. An actual sous-vide machine can cost $500.00-$1,000.00.)
I was hopping with this meal I could make it last for two days so my budget was upped to $16.00.

I purchased, a large can of diced tomatoes, my London broil, an onion, a sweet potato,a Russell potato, 2 carrots and a loaf of french bread, for the grand totall of $12.33.

I seasoned my London Broil, and threw it with the tomatoes, onion, garlic (on hand) and other seasonings in my crock pot on super low for about 8-9 hours. low and slow. I was hoping it wouldn't come out tough.

About 45 minutes before I pulled the meat out of the crock pot I chopped up all my vegetables and tossed them in olive oil and roasted them for until done at 450.

In all my dinner did feed us for two days. :) making it the cost for a dinner a whopping $3.08 cents.  The London Broil wasn't as tender as I would have liked but I made a reduction sauce out of the remaining tomato and garlic that it cooked in and that came out fantastic. The true winners were the vegetables. They were sort of crispy on the outside but nice and soft on the inside. That I will definitely do again. I'm not so sure on this method with London Broil. I think I'll grill it for stir-fry next time.

Sorry also for no pictures. I completely forgot until it was all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment